Mary Wanless states that “Riders very often blame their
bodies for problems which really belong in the mind- or at least in the
body-mind system. Only in our language can we separate the two; in reality
there is no clear distinction, and your mind has tentacles which reach out to
and influence every conceivable part of your body.” I have been discussing the
connection and complex language between horse and man for my projects. Similar
to interpreting body language, communication with a horse is mainly observation
of movement, body language, energy, mutual respect, tone, and
self-awareness. As Wanless states, only spoken language can
create a clear distinction between mind and body. However, I believe that even
though the division may only be made verbally, one is still able to successfully
portray such thoughts and emotions through their body. It takes a great deal of
body awareness, and an understanding of oneself, to communicate one’s thoughts
and ideas to another person let alone an animal. I find that the relationship
between the two are complex and unique to each pair and that even though there
is no spoken language between the two there is a deep understanding that
harbors a higher level of communication no spoken language can depict. This
unique comprehension is important to my everyday relationships and has
essentially taught me a new way of approaching new contacts within my life. I
have learned to listen before I speak, focus on my impressions, and the ambiances
of the people and situations I am confronted with. Since I am more self-aware
and able to interpret situations from a third person view I can handle issues,
and tasks more efficiently and objectively.
I love the video. Your horse is so adorable. I agree that riding is a mental thing. I feel like in every sport if you don't think that you can do it then you wont. It's a mental game.
ReplyDeleteThis video was so sweet! It was really cool watching you trying to get your horse to play in the water. It perfectly displays the fact that communication with our animals is an unspoken thing.
ReplyDeleteI love this post. Your video was awesome and I loved watching the horse creep farther into the water. Being that I grew up playing sports my whole life I definitely know what you mean about riding being a mental thing. You did an awesome job with your scholarly source.
ReplyDeleteI think that your video does a great job of explaining and proving your point. I agree that it often does take more than a common spoken language to accomplish something. Body language and self awareness are very important, and it does take more than just a common language or form of communication to get things done.
ReplyDeleteLOVE Horses! that reminded me of my horse and how he has a heard head. It also reminded me of the saying, you can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. :)
ReplyDeleteAw I like your video so much. I agree with what youre saying about the mind!
ReplyDeleteYour video was so cool I really enjoyed it! I really like you related riding to a mental game! Overall great post!
ReplyDelete