Wednesday, October 24, 2012

SMALL THINGS














 Bell Tower

On my commute to class each day I pass the Bell Tower. I usually breeze by, in a rush to get to class. But on this particular day I decided to stop and absorb what was going on around me that I normally pass by. As I stood there, looking around, a glimpse of white caught my eye and I looked down to see what it may be. Someone had spray painted "appreciate the small things" on the walkway surrounding the tower. The text is rather small, and easy to overlook, but I suppose that's the point. It almost fell like a "sign" if you will, seeing this as I was absorbing life going on around me. It was exactly was I was trying to do - appreciate the smaller things in life. I observed friends, colleagues, and professors walking in groups conversing about things going on in each others life. Some were relaxing, and sun bathing listening to their iPod's perched upon the base of the Bell Tower, a few by themselves gazing up at the clear blue sky. Perhaps they were doing the same thing I was...soaking it all in. Sometimes if you don't stop once in awhile, life will pass you by I soon realized. I saw political posters staked across the lawn for the upcoming election (which I haven't really educated myself on like I should), and free passes to local clubs strewn across the pavement. Couples walked hand in hand, each pair making a story for themselves. There was so much opportunity, and every step was down a different path, and I found that if I didn't stop and think about the choice I make, the people I interact with, or even stop to read the little spray painted signs I see I might miss my chance to become the best possible me. As I stood, transfixed by how much I overlooked in my everyday life, the Bell Tower began to ring and I was instantly thrown back into my routine. But this time with a new appreciation for the smaller things in life and that each detail overlooked may just be an opportunity missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment