Monday, December 3, 2012
LITERACY NARRATIVE
I actually had a very difficult time in the beginning trying to figure out what to write about. I wasn't exactly comprehending what the topic was implying I write about. After thinking and deliberating topics for a very long time, without success, I finally decided to write about what I knew best: horses. I've always had an interest in horseback riding and I knew writing about this topic would come naturally to me. However, throughout the revision process, I did hit a few road blocks. Revising your work, come to find, is actually fairly difficult. Writing on the note cards helped me tremendously at the beginning of the process to narrow down my ideas and it gave me a visual representation of what the revision process would look like on a smaller scale. I really benefited from the feedback that was given as well. I also prospered from the revision strategies homework given in class. I really tried to write my narrative as if I was speaking to an individual. I tried to depict things and describe them carefully and in detail, hopefully making the audience more comprehending to the somewhat abstract topic that they may be unfamiliar with. I also found that reading through my piece rapidly helped me identify areas that I needed to re-word and edit to create a more flowing piece. I found that when it came down to actually sitting and revising my work I was often hit with writers block and I had difficulty understanding where exactly I should be going with my work. Should I make it abstract? Should I tell a true-life story? And what exactly is the significance of this piece and the message I am relaying? I knew that I liked writing in such a way that my audience felt like I was conversing with them and truly bringing them into the story. So, I aspired to write my narrative in such a way that readers could relate. Overall, I liked where I was going with the piece, but I feel like I really lost focus of where I wanted to be. At first I had a big misunderstanding about what exactly the assignment was, and once I finally realized I had written too much to start over. I began writing almost in an essay format, which is evidently not exactly what was expected of us. Looking back, I wish I had of taken more time to really understand and connect with the assignment, I feel that my narrative would have been much more successful. I'm happy with the way it turned out, however given more time and a better understanding from the beginning, I feel as if I would have been more satisfied with the overall outcome and more likely to feel confident enough to share it with the class. In retrospect, I really did enjoy this assignment, and it truly taught me how important revision and though process are to the success of an writing.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment